CURRICULUM VITAE OF O. (Oscar) RENE DIAZ
DIAZ MEDIATION & ARBITRATION CENTER, since 2007
- President & Founder of full service Alternative Dispute Resolution Center focused on Bilingual Mediation and Arbitration of all manner of civil disputes, including pre-litigation (pro se) and litigation matters from state, federal, probate and/or justice courts.
- Focusing on disputes in areas of business & commercial law, personal injury, family law – including divorce and child custody disputes, labor & employment law, real estate and construction law disputes.
- Fully bilingual and proficient in Spanish and English, including technical and professional level of translation skills.
DIAZ JAKOB, LLC from 2009 to 2021.
- President, Managing Partner of law firm focusing on civil litigation in the areas of Business & Commercial law, Family law, Employment law and Construction law.
STATE DISTRICT JUDGE, 224th JUDICIAL DISTRICT COURT, from 2004 to 2007.
- Appointed by Governor Rick Perry to Bexar County civil trial court of unlimited monetary jurisdiction handling all classes of civil litigation.
- One of the highest rated Civil District Court Judges in the 2005 San Antonio Bar Association Judicial Performance Poll.
- Recipient 2006 "Honorary Young Lawyer of the Year Award" given annually by San Antonio Young Lawyers' Association.
STATE COMMISSIONER, Texas One Star National Service Commission, 2003 to 2004.
- Governing and Oversight responsibility for all Federal AmeriCorps Funds for the State of Texas as well as the Governor's Office Mentoring Initiative and the Texas Office of Faith Based and Community Initiatives; Chair of the Policy Planning Committee.
GENERAL COUNSEL, The Republican Party of Texas (RPT) from 2002 to 2004.
- Supervised litigation and provided legal counsel for the Republican Party of Texas and the State
Republican Executive Committee, including the 2002, 2004 State Republican Conventions.
- Represented the RPT in the 2003 Texas Legislature regarding proposed reforms of the Texas Election Code.
BROCK & PERSON, P.C., Shareholder and Associate from 1993 to 2004.
- Active General Civil Practice including first chair trial experience in tort and contract litigation, products liability, commercial business litigation, libel & slander, employment discrimination, sexual harassment/sexual abuse and construction litigation.
- Advised small and mid-size business clients on labor and employment issues, insurance and commercial transactions.
- Mediated hundreds of cases involving personal injury, insurance, commercial, construction, employment, libel & slander and family law issues.
BRANTON & HALL, P.C., Associate Attorney from 1990 to 1993.
- Civil litigation associate with significant first chair trial experience in products liability, medical malpractice, workers' compensation, consumer and general tort litigation.
- Substantial experience in mediation of personal injury, consumer and insurance law claims in both presuit and litigation cases.
U. S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE, Washington, D.C., Bureau of Latin American Affairs, Intern 1988.
- Assisted in research and analysis of daily reporting of political, cultural and economic issues in the current U.S. Relations with Brazil, from U.S. Embassy in Brazil; Assisted with research, compilation and drafting of briefing materials for the U.S. Secretary of State (Hon. George Schulz’) visit to Brazil, Fall 1988.
- Represented the Brazil Desk in Consular relations with European Pharmaceutical Industry Representatives, the Brazilian Embassy in Washington, and the Latin America Affairs Bureau.
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL TRAINING
THE UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA, Charlottesville, Virginia
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) 1985, with Double Major, International Relations and Latin American Studies, including a proficiency in Spanish and Portuguese.
- Served in Student Government as an elected representative.
REGENT UNIVERSITY, Virginia Beach, Virginia
- Joint Degree- Juris Doctorate in Law and Master of Arts in Public Policy, 1990.
- Intern- U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Latin American Affairs, Washington, D.C.
- Master's Thesis: "Suing Churches for Brainwashing: Legitimate Tort or Threat To Religious Freedom?" Published by University Microfilms, 1992.
- Instrumental in the founding the new Regent University Law Review.
- Student Bar Association, elected representative, two terms.
THE ATTORNEY - MEDIATORS INSTITUTE, Dallas, Texas
- Certification Course; Attorney-Mediator, 2002.
STATE BAR OF TEXAS, State Bar No. 05804775
- Admitted to practice before all Texas Courts and the U.S. District Court for the Western, Northern, and Southern Districts of Texas;
- Member of the Alternative Dispute Resolution, Litigation, Family Law and Military Law Sections.
SAN ANTONIO BAR ASSOCIATION (S.A.B.A.)
- Continuing Legal Education Committee, Chair 2006 -2007, Co-Chair 2005-2006.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee, Chair, 2017; Member since 2007.
- Member of Litigation and Family Sections, District Courts Committee and SABA singers.
- Represented the S.A.B.A. on Bexar County Dispute Resolution Center Advisory Board.
MARTINDALE-HUBBELL PEER REVIEW RATING -“AV - Preeminent” Judicial Edition:
- A.V. Preeminent - The highest possible rating for ethical standards and legal ability by America’s largest attorney peer-review rating organization.
THE COLLEGE OF THE STATE BAR OF TEXAS, Member.
TEXAS MEDIATOR CREDENTIALING ASSOCIATION, CREDENTIALED MEDIATOR 2007.
TEXAS ASSOCIATION OF MEDIATORS, Member 2007-08.
Listed "SCENE IN SA Magazine" San Antonio's Best Lawyers (2007 - 2017).
WILLIAM S. SESSIONS AMERICAN INNS OF COURT, Master Member.
TEXAS BAR FOUNDATION and SAN ANTONIO BAR FOUNDATION, Fellow.
HABITAT FOR HUMANITY OF SAN ANTONIO, CHAIR (2010-11, 2018-2021), Board of Directors Member/Chair total of seventeen years since 2007.
BEXAR COUNTY DISPUTE RESOLUTION CENTER, Advisory Board Member, since 2006.
BEXAR COUNTY JUVENILE BOARD MEMBER, 2005 - 2006.
- Oversight responsibility of the Bexar County Juvenile Probation Department.